Concerned about a child or young person? Call 0345 603 7627

Reporting concerns


If you are a member of the public: 


If you require any help, support or advice please ring Essex Police. If there is an immediate threat to life, or the immediate threat of being taken abroad, ring the emergency number, or the forced marriage unit.

Emergency number: 999 Non emergency number: 101

Forced Marriage Unit: (+44) 020 7008 0151


If you are a professional or volunteer working with families:


All agencies working with children in Essex must follow the SET Child Protection Procedures (Section 39) in the case of any concerns.


The Forced Marriage Unit (established by the UK Government in 2005) is able to offer further information and advice on the tools available to professionals working with families where forced marriage is suspected.  


If you are concerned that a British citizen may be taken overseas for the purpose of FGM please call the Foreign and Commonwealth Office FCO on 0207 008 1500 or email


Since July 2015 it has been possible to obtain a Female Genital Mutilation Protection Order through the Family Court (like Forced Marriage Protection Orders). If you are concerned that someone may be taken abroad for FGM you can apply for a Protection Order. The terms of the order can be flexible and the court can include whatever terms it considers necessary and appropriate to protect the girl or woman.


Other useful resources

Karma Nirvana Honour Network: 0800 5999 247

Forward: 0208 960 4000 

Womens Aid:  0808 2000 247