Safeguarding Children Level 1 - Basic awareness
Target audience: Anyone working or volunteering with children, young people and their families in Essex who need a basic level of safeguarding knowledge.
Aim: To give a basic awareness of safeguarding children.
To access the course: You can access the training by registering/logging on here https://esca.essexacl.ac.uk/login/index.php
To access the e-learning you will need to register, if it is the first time you have used the site then click on ‘create new account’.
- To be aware of the national legislation that relates to safeguarding children- Children Act 1989 and 2004, Children and Social Work Act 2017 and the Sexual Offences Act 2003
- Be able to recognise the signs and symptoms of abuse and neglect
- To be aware of local guidance-Southend, Essex and Thurrock Child Protection Procedures and the Essex Effective Support for Children and Families
- To know what to do if you have concerns about a child both within your organisation and through www.essexeffectivesupport.org.uk
- Understand own role and responsibilities and those of others in safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
- Understand the principles of information sharing
- To be able to document safeguarding/child protection concerns in a clear and concise way that can be shared with other staff members or agencies appropriately
N.B. You need to complete all six sections and then complete the quiz. In order to get a certificate you need to achieve a pass mark of 80%.
If you are the safeguarding lead in your organisation and wish to deliver a Level 1 session to your colleagues then please contact ESCB for a copy of the PowerPoint.