Essex Safeguarding Children Board
What is Child Exploitation?
Exploitation includes sexual, criminal (including county lines), modern slavery and online. Children who are exploited usually do not recognise the coercive nature of the relationship or see themselves as a victim. Exploitation is not the child's fault. Abusers are very clever in the way they manipulate young people.
In recent years, exploitation methods have changed/become more hidden.
- Girls report finding it easier to travel around the county as they are challenged less than boys.
- Possible increased use of taxis/private hire vehicles by children being exploited.
- More exploitation happening at private addresses and unused business premises.
- Social media has replaced face to face interaction. Young people are craving to connect with others and unfortunately, this can lead to grooming.
- Young people can be vulnerable to exploitation or abuse while using public transport - find out more about the campaign Operation Henderson to raise awareness of this.