Concerned about a child or young person? Call 0345 603 7627

What is Child Exploitation?

Exploitation includes sexual, criminal (including county lines), modern slavery and online. Children who are exploited usually do not recognise the coercive nature of the relationship or see themselves as a victim. Exploitation is not the child's fault. Abusers are very clever in the way they manipulate young people. The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the fight against exploitation. For example, did you know a child can be recruited to a gang from hundreds of miles away? More and more often young people are being groomed remotely to carry out ‘jobs’ in their community, for their exploiters who live on the other side of the country.


How have exploitation methods changed/become more hidden?