How can I support my child?
You can discuss the differences between healthy and unhealthy relationships with your children, this is really important in helping highlight potential risks to them.
There are also practical steps you can take, such as:
- Don’t wait to be 100% sure, collect evidence, if you suspect that your child is at risk – act now and call Essex Police
- Stay alert to changes in behaviour or any physical signs of abuse, e.g. bruising
- Be aware of new, unexplained items, e.g. mobile phones, and carefully monitor any instances of staying out late or not returning home
- Exercise caution around older friends your child has, or relationships with other young people where there appears to be a power imbalance
- Make sure you understand the risks associated with your child being online and put measures in place to minimise them.
This parent leaflet is a useful guide to help you talk to your child about CSE.