The Child Death Overview Panel is responsible for reviewing the deaths of any children normally resident in Southend, Essex and Thurrock local authority areas, whether from natural, unnatural, known or unknown causes, at home, in hospital or in the community.
The purpose of the review is to:
- Reduce the number of childhood deaths
- Identify matters of concern affecting the safety and welfare of children
- Identify wider public health or safety concerns arising from a particular death or from a pattern of deaths
- Undertake a co-ordinated agency response to all unexpected deaths of children
Notification of a child death to the LSCB
Any agency becoming aware of:
- a child death occurring in Essex
- a death of a normally resident Essex child occurring elsewhere
should make a notification to the SET Child Death Review Manager via their nominated Child Death Review lead.
Notification should be made on Form A - Notification of Child Death.
Further information on Child Death Reviews can be found here.
Child Death Review Rapid Response Service
From March 2015 there is a new countywide Child Death Review Rapid Response Service. The services shall be delivered to the population of Greater Essex area, including Southend and Thurrock and will review all unexpected deaths of children up to the age of 18 years. The aims of the Child Death Rapid Response service are to provide a thorough, systematic review of the circumstances of the child’s death while ensuring that the family is adequately supported by identifying the needs of the family and facilitating this support.