This service provides an independent chairperson for Child in Need Review meetings, to give additional challenge and support to everyone at the Child in Need Review so that the best service possible is provided to children, young people and their families. It is not a service for children and young people who are in care or are subject of Child Protection Plans because meetings for these children and young people already have independent chairpersons.
The service is currently accepting referrals for cases where:
- A child has come off a Child Protection Plan
- A child has been open as a child in need to children’s social care for over 12 months
- A child is the subject of a supervision order
- A child has returned home after a period in care
- A child has particularly complex circumstances
The service is delivered by 8 Child in Need Reviewing Officers (CINROs) – 2 in each quadrant. The CINROs are qualified and experienced social workers who are located within the Professional Standards and Audit Service. The service is committed to making sure multi-agency child in need plans are clear and effective.
The CINROs will undertake preparatory work and then chair Child in Need Reviews.
- Use a strengths based approach to chairing reviews, and will aim to produce SMART, short and succinct plan recommendations
- They will capture key discussion points (but not full minutes) and the plan recommendations
- They will distribute a record of the key discussion points and the plan recommendations
If you would like more information please contact:
Children in Need, Practice and Procedures - Jan 2014 (PDF)
Learning and Development
Please see the learning and development section for further information and available dates for Child in Need training.